A building that houses an optical business and residential units in Akron’s Highland Square neighborhood was damaged Sunday evening by a fire.

Firefighters were called to Adolph Optical in the 600 block of West Market Street at 7:37 p.m. when two Akron police officers saw smoke coming out of the building.

The fire was started by an electrical short in the wall space on the second or third floor, Lt. Jeff Schueller said.

The building has residential units above the business, said Dave Ware, chief on the scene for the Akron Fire Department. No evacuations were needed.

“There was nobody here when we got here,” Ware said.

Total damage was estimated at $20,000 to $30,000, Schueller said.

The fire was under control by 8:10 p.m., according to an Akron Fire Department dispatcher.

A firefighter was treated for a minor cut that required stitches.