AKRON

Bridge replacement

AKRON: The city of Akron said Friday it will replace the existing bridge on Swinehart Avenue, about 600 feet west of East Avenue, that spans the Mud Run Ditch.

Swinehart Avenue will be closed during construction, with traffic detoured on the east side of the bridge, south on East Avenue to State Street. The detour is expected to last about 90 days during construction, which is slated for spring.

Cost is estimated at about $428,000.

Anyone wishing to comment on the project may send them to: Christine Jonke, City of Akron Engineering Bureau, 166 S. High St., Akron, OH 44308, or call Jonke at 330-375-2015.

Deadline for comments is Jan. 27.

NORTH CANTON

Suspect arrested

NORTH CANTON: Police have arrested a second suspect in the Dec. 7 robbery of the Spee-D-Foods convenience store and gas station on South Main Street.

Javawn A. Moore, 20, of Canton, turned himself in to authorities Tuesday after North Canton police and the Stark County Fugitive Task Force had issued a felony warrant charging complicity to commit robbery.

Another suspect, 21-year-old Jewel D. Moore, also of Canton, was arrested during a traffic stop Dec. 8.

Javawn Moore, who was driving the car, fled from officers.

According to a police investigation and other media reports, Jewel Moore robbed the North Canton store at gunpoint, and Javawn Moore drove the getaway car.

Both men, who are cousins, have been booked into Stark County Jail.

STARK COUNTY

48-year sentence

CANTON: A Massillon man has been sentenced to 48 years for shooting at police officers who came to his house on a report that he was suicidal.

Steven P. Bubenchik apologized for his actions before the sentencing Monday in Stark County Common Pleas Court.

Bubenchik, 40, was convicted earlier this month of five of seven counts, including one count of attempted murder and three counts of felonious assault and accompanying firearms specifications.

The Massillon Independent reported that the officers were among those who responded to Bubenchikís home Aug. 8 for a welfare check after his estranged wife called saying her husband was suicidal.

Heíll return to court Monday for a hearing on two rape allegations involving children.

ó Associated Press

STATE NEWS

Rape case trial set

STEUBENVILLE: A former Steubenville school district technology director faces a late February trial on charges alleging he misled investigators looking into the rape of a 16-year-old girl by two high school football players.

William Rhinaman, of Mingo Junction, has pleaded not guilty to evidence tampering, obstructing justice, obstructing official business and perjury.

The Ohio Attorney Generalís Office, which is prosecuting the case, says a final pretrial hearing is set for Jan. 28 with a tentative trial date of Feb. 24.

Rhinaman was indicted earlier this year by a grand jury looking into whether other crimes were broken in the rape of the West Virginia girl in August 2012.

In March, a judge convicted two Steubenville football players of raping the girl after an alcohol-fueled party.

ó Associated Press

Body found in field

ELYRIA: Police say a body found in a Lorain County cornfield is that of a man who was being investigated in a child sex-abuse case.

The Lorain County Coronerís Office says the man found dead two weeks ago was Jeffrey Cannon of Elyria. He had been missing since September.

A cause of death has not been determined.

Police in Elyria told the Lorain Morning Journal that Cannon was a suspect in a sexual abuse case involving two 8-year-old children before he came up missing.

Police say Cannon had been questioned and was supposed to talk with detectives again.

A farmer plowing a field in Elyria found Cannonís body on Dec. 11.

ó Associated Press