SPRINGFIELD TWP.: Board of education members on Thursday approved the final phase of construction for a portion of the new Springfield High School after a shaky second floor postponed completion and added to the cost.

The 185,000-square-foot building, to house seventh grade through 12th grade, was expected to open in the fall, but that was before issues involving cracks in the concrete second floor were discovered in March.

An attorney representing the school district, which is paying for 75 percent of the project through local funds, and the state, picking up the remaining 25 percent, said a contract to tile the second floor was addressed by the board Thursday night and that the project would be completed by mid-December.

The community, which passed a bond measure in 2010, is contributing $33.7 million to the project.

Construction crews have installed heavy spring-loaded steel plates to reduce vibrations in the floor. Cracked concrete has been sealed.

Repairs have added $884,762 to the project, covered by the school district as attorneys determine responsibility.

I would say that its still an ongoing investigation, although there is both a design and construction piece to the problem, said Christopher McCloskey, an attorney for the state and school. But there is not a safety concern in regards to structural integrity.

An attorney for Mike Coates Construction, which poured concrete for the second floor, was not available for comment but previously has cited poor design and materials as the cause of the problems.

Doug Livingston can be reached at 330-996-3792 or dlivingston@thebeaconjournal.com.