Plant worker complains

The operator of a Japanese nuclear plant that went into a tsunami-triggered meltdown knew the risks from highly radioactive water at the site but sent in crews without adequate protection or warnings, a worker said in a legal complaint. The actions by Tokyo Electric Power Co. led to radiation injuries, said the contract worker, who was with a six-member team working at the crippled Fukushima Dai-ichi plant’s Unit 3 reactor in the early days of last year’s crisis. The worker gave a rare public account of what happened at the plant during the accident. He spoke to the Associated Press on the condition that he be identified only as Shinichi, 46.


Storm displaces 100,000

A tropical storm slammed into southern India, bringing heavy rain and a storm surge that could flood low-lying areas and displacing more than 100,000 people. Just before the storm made landfall Wednesday, an oil tanker with 37 crew ran aground off Chennai. One of its lifeboats capsized in the choppy waters, and one crewmember drowned, the Press Trust of India news agency reported. Coast guard officers were searching for the lifeboat’s six other occupants.


New Cabinet approved

Libya’s parliament on Wednesday approved the country’s new Cabinet in a vote of confidence, the parliament spokesman said, but armed protesters cut the main road leading to the parliament, vowing not to leave until members of the ousted regime of dictator Moammar Gadhafi are excluded from political life. Omar Humidan said five of the 27 ministers would be reconsidered after concerns were raised over their ties to the deposed regime. That was not good enough for the protesters, who tried to storm the parliament building but were turned back by security forces firing in the air. Then they camped outside the convention center that houses the parliament sessions. The disruption was the second in as many days by protesters, some in pickup trucks mounted with machine guns and anti-aircraft pieces.

Compiled from wire reports.