The National IPA Championships -- sponsored by The Brewing News -- kick off later this week, with Ohio breweries being well-represented in the various competitions.
The event features four different contests, as the beer publication intends to crown separate IPA, imperial IPA, session IPA and specialty IPA winners.
It works like the NCAA's March Madness basketball tournament -- there's even an opportunity for folks to play along by filling out a beer bracket. Beers are paired up against each other and whittled down until there is only one champion. The judging begins this week (Feb. 15) and will culminate in early March.
Breweries from throughout the U.S. have entered.
Here are the beers from Ohio:
IPAs from Ohio
• The Brew Kettle White Rajah
• Fat Head's Head Hunter
• North High IPA
• Platform Speed Merchant,
• Seventh Son The Scientist
• Wolf's Ridge Earthrise
Imperial IPAs from Ohio
• The Brew Kettle El Lupulo Libre
• Fat Head's Hop JuJu
• Great Lakes Commodore Perry
• Great Lakes Hop Madness
• North High Stardust to Stardust
• Seventh Son Proliferous
• Wolf's Ridge Howling Moon
Session IPAs from Ohio
• Fat Head's Sunshine Daydream
• Wolf's Ridge Driftwood
Specialty IPAs from Ohio
• The Brew Kettle FN Awesome
• The Brew Kettle Black Rajah
• Fat Head's Midnight Moonlight
• Seventh Son Goo Goo Muck Tart
• Wolf's Ridge Coconut Howling Moon
Fat Head's Head Hunter and Sunshine Daydream, along with The Brew Kettle El Lupulo Libre are past champions. In fact, Head Hunter has won the IPA competition twice.
To see all the entries, click here.