The Indians on Sunday announced that the signing of free agent third baseman Juan Uribe to a one-year deal is now official.



Uribe corrected his visa issues, made it camp in Goodyear, Ariz. this past weekend and passed his physical, finally allowing the one-year deal become official more than a week after the agreement was reportedly reached. Hell make a reported $4 million plus incentives for the 2016 season.



Uribe, who turns 37 in March, provides the Indians with a veteran option in addition to Giovanny Urshela and will be the starting third baseman. Last season Uribe hit .253 with a .320 on-base percentage, 14 home runs and 43 RBI in 119 games between the Los Angeles Dodgers, Atlanta Braves and New York Mets. He had 1.9 WAR in 2015, according to FanGraphs, after amassing 3.6 WAR with the Dodgers in 2014.



Uribe had a half-day in camp on Sunday and will be eased into things this spring.



Its been pretty apparent hes been working out, Indians manager Terry Francona told reporters in Goodyear. Well take a few days to make sure hes ready to go.



Urshela, 24, last season showed his value defensively at third base but struggled at the plate, hitting .225 with a .608 OPS while dealing with back and shoulder issues. At times, it seemed the Indians were caught between thinking Urshela wasnt able to properly be evaluated because of his injuries but also not wanting to hand the everyday job to him just yet.



Its likely that Urshela will now open the season at Triple-A Columbus to continue to receive everyday at-bats. Utility man Jose Ramirez is slated to back up Uribe at third base when needed.



We were trying to get Uribe all winter, Francona said. The things we said all winter were very honest. If Gio was our third baseman, we were OK with that. If Gio has to go to Triple-A to get some at-bats, wed be OK with that too because we think itd be good for him. Gio wasnt quite ready offensively when he got to Cleveland last year, and the fact that he was beat up didnt help.



Due to the 80-game suspension handed down to outfielder Abraham Almonte for a failed drug test that revealed performance-enhancing drugs, no secondary move on the 40-man roster is necessary.