Today's guest blogger: Akron Marathon Executive Director Anne Bitong
There are many tools and resources out there to keep your training on track. Below are our favorite mobile apps and why we like them. I should start by saying that all recommended apps below are free; which is one reason why they are at the top of our list!
* C25K (Couch to 5k) -- This app is based on an 8-week training program designed to get you from the couch to complete your first 5k (3.1 miles). Audio cues will have you alternate between walking and running. It is easy to follow and is based on 3 active days of training of 30-40-minutes each including a 5-minute warm-up and 5-minute cool down.
* 5k Runner: 0 to 5K Run Trainer -- This app is great for the beginner who is looking to go from walking to running. The app provides a coach with voice prompts and automatically tells you when to run or walk. You can incorporate your own playlist and the coach’s audio cues will play over the music.
* 10k Runner: 0 to 5k to 10k Trainer -- Same as above but increases your distance to a 10k (6.2 miles)
* Run Keeper -- This app allows you to do more than track your runs. You can track all of your workouts, including cross training. It offers personalized plans that keep you on track of your goals and includes reminders. It offers the option to join challenges and share your achievements.
* Map My Run -- MapMyRun is one of the most popular running apps. You can track all of your fitness activities. It allows you to record details including time, distance, pace, speed, elevation, calories burned, and route traveled on an interactive map. This app works in conjunction with their website where you can upload your data to MapMyRun where you can track your workout history.
* Strava -- If you like to compare and compete with friends this app is for you. It lets you track your running (and cycling) with GPS. You can join challenges and upload and share photos from your activities, and follow friends.
Because every training plan is individualized, I suggest you download a few of the apps and test them out to see which one is the best suited for you. If you found a favorite app not listed, be sure to share it at our next group run!