• Rookie third-round draft pick Chad Thomas participated in team drills Wednesday for the first time since he had sports hernia surgery in June. He lined up at left end with the third-string defense. Thomas revealed he had the hernia the past two seasons at the University of Miami and basically ignored it. He was hesitant to have surgery when the Browns recommended it. “I had to be a grown-up and think it’s a business, so let me just get my body right at this moment and not wait until later because it will probably get worse,” he said.
• The third time was a charm during the two-minute drill. The first-team offense’s attempt ended with quarterback Tyrod Taylor’s desperation pass into the end zone being batted down by middle linebacker Joe Schobert. The No. 2 offense’s try ended with a turnover on downs when rookie quarterback Baker Mayfield completed a short pass on fourth-and-16. But the third unit, led by quarterback Drew Stanton, set up a simulated, game-winning field goal, which kicker Ross Martin made from 40 yards.
• Earlier in the drill, a defender hit Stanton and drew the ire of offensive coordinator Todd Haley, whose salty language reminded everyone to avoid contact with the QBs. Jackson also reprimanded the defense. “I don’t think anything is ever intentional, but we just have to be a smart football team,” he said. “We can’t get that close.”
• Tight end Devon Cajuste returned to action after missing four practices with a concussion and caught two touchdown passes from Stanton.
• Right guard Kevin Zeitler left practice with a calf injury.
•The upgraded QB RV Mayfield had promised was stationed in the players’ parking lot.
• Guests at practice included former Carolina Panthers and Baltimore Ravens wide receiver Steve Smith and former New England Patriots and Browns linebacker Willie McGinest, both of whom are NFL Network analysts, former NFL coach Dom Capers and former Philadelphia Eagles and Denver Broncos safety Brian Dawkins, who’ll be enshrined this weekend into the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
— Nate Ulrich
Browns Training Camp Happenings (Day 6): Rookie defensive end Chad Thomas returns to 11-on-11 action