For the Cleveland Cavs every day last month may as well have been the Ides of March.
After going 6-10 for the month, no one could blame them Friday night if they were eager to just move on after their dominating win over the Philadelphia 76ers at Quicken Loans Arena.
1. The Cavs took control of the game in the second quarter and let at halftime 70-52. By the end of the third quarter, they owned a 27-point lead and it was over. LeBron James played a short time in the fourth quarter, but for all practical purposes the starters were done for the night and ended a rough month.
2. The Big Three of LeBron James, Kyrie Irving and Kevin Love combined 72 points on the night, the first time they’d been in that kind of rhythm for week, coach Tyronn Lue said. The victory at least allowed some levity to creep into the Cavs locker room post-game.
3. “March? I love March. What’s wrong with March?” Love said.
4. There’s little doubt that the month provided its challenges for the Cavs.
5. “2017 has been a growing year already, Irving said. “A lot of changes and a lot of new faces and I think it’s just starting to slow down for us and we’re starting to understand how important the little things are and how they’re going to matter going forward.”
6. Love, who just recently had his minutes restrictions lifted after returning from a knee injury, scored 18 points and grabbed 10 rebounds on the night. Isn’t prepared to proclaim the team ready for the playoffs.
7. “No, obviously it was a tough month for us, but who knows? April is another chapter for us,” he said.. “ We’re just trying to get better game by game. I know that’s cliché, but that’s the truth. We have seven or eight games now to lock in and get ready for life after the regular season. “
8. In post-game comments James treated the recent struggles like a bad memory.
9. “I don’t look back. There’s no reason. Push forward and see what you can control,” he said. “The only destiny is to see what you can control the next day. The past is the past and we have to focus on the present and that’s what we’re going to do.”
10. Lue may have spoken for everyone, however, when asked if he was happy the month had ended.
11. He answered with a simple “Yes.”