James Haslam facts and figures
• Title: President and chief executive of Pilot Flying J truck stops.
• Born in Knoxville, Tenn., in March 1954.
• Brother of Tennessee’s governor, Bill Haslam.
• Minority owner of the Pittsburgh Steelers.
• Pilot Flying J, headquartered in Knoxville, Tenn., was founded by Haslam’s father, James Haslam Jr., in 1958, and has more than 500 outlets across 35 states.
• In a 2010 question-and-answer report on the Steelers.com website, Haslam said he was a “1,000 percent Steelers fan.” He said before he invested in the team, he was a Dallas Cowboys and then an Indianapolis Colts fan.
• The website and other outlets report that Haslam and his wife, Dee, donated $10 million to the University of Tennessee to benefit two university programs, fund endowed professorships and create an honors program.
• Haslam said in the question-and-answer that he invested in the Steelers after being contacted by an investment banker representing the team.
• He said he was “impressed with Steelers owners Art and Dan Rooney’s business acumen and conservative philosophy.”
• Haslam’s father was a starting tackle for the University of Tennessee football team.
— Compiled by Katie Byard