Royals outfielder Jorge Soler will likely begin his first season in Kansas City on the disabled list after straining his oblique in a minor league game.

Soler, acquired from the Chicago Cubs in December for closer Wade Davis, hurt himself on a swing Sunday. Soler went for an MRI on Monday, which revealed a Grade 1 strain.

He’ll rest for five to seven days before slowly resuming baseball activities, meaning he’ll miss the Royals’ opener next Monday at Minnesota.

Royals manager Ned Yost also said Raul Mondesi will open the season as the starting second baseman.

Reds drop Raburn

The Cincinnati Reds released outfielder Ryan Raburn after he struggled in a bid to win a bench role.

Raburn turns 36 in April. He signed a minor league deal last month and hit .219 during spring training with seven hits, three home runs and seven strikeouts in 32 at-bats. Under his contract, the Reds had to pay him $100,000 if he was still on the roster after Monday.

“He was the odd man out,” manager Bryan Price said.

Raburn played seven years for Detroit and three for Cleveland before moving to the National League last season with Colorado.

Nats release Nathan

Veteran reliever Joe Nathan, 42, has been released by the Washington Nationals. Nathan’s 377 career saves rank second among active pitchers and eighth in major league history.

The Nationals also unconditionally released another righty reliever, Matt Albers.

Orioles starter

The Baltimore Orioles will have a new starter for their April 3 opener for the first time in the last four years. Manager Buck Showalter said that right-hander Kevin Gausman will start against Toronto. Showalter had ruled right-hander Chris Tillman out of the opener when spring training began last month because of a sore right shoulder.