Froome effectively seals Giro title before last stage
• Chris Froome effectively sealed victory in the Giro d’Italia on Saturday by holding his only remaining challenger in check up the final climb of the three-week race. The four-time Tour de France champion takes a 46-second lead over defending champion Tom Dumoulin into Sunday’s mostly ceremonial finish in Rome and is poised to win his third consecutive Grand Tour, matching the achievements of cycling greats Eddy Merckx and Bernard Hinault.
Thiem gets victory in Lyon, warms up for French Open
• Dominic Thiem warmed up for the French Open with a 3-6, 7-6 (1), 6-1 win against Gilles Simon in the Lyon Open final on Saturday. The top-seeded Austrian recovered from a break down in the second set to secure his second title of the season and 10th of his career.
• Third-seeded Anastasia Pavlyuchenkova of Russia won the Strasbourg International after laboring to a 6-7 (5), 7-6 (3), 7-6 (6) win against Dominika Cibulkova of Slovakia. They spent 3 hours, 35 minutes on court in a grueling contest, which ended when Pavlyuchenkova sealed victory on her second serve.
• Swedish player Johanna Larsson won her first WTA singles title in three years by beating Alison Riske of the United States 7-6 (4), 6-4 in the final of the Nuremberg Cup. Her only other career singles victory was on home soil at Bastad in 2015.
Bale’s scissor-kick gives Madrid third straight title
• Gareth Bale’s eye-catching scissor-kick helped Real Madrid to a third successive Champions League title on Saturday in Kiev, Ukraine, with a 3-1 victory over a Liverpool side thwarted by a pair of goalkeeping blunders and Mohamed Salah being forced off injured.
• UFC middleweight fighter Nick Diaz has been arrested in Las Vegas on allegations of domestic violence. Clark County jail records indicate the 35-year-old was booked Thursday night on suspicion of domestic battery by strangulation but was no longer in custody Saturday.
• Accelerate rallied from third in mid-stretch to win the $500,000 Gold Cup at Santa Anita by 4¼ lengths over Dr. Dorr, trained by Bob Baffert. Ridden by Victor Espinoza, Accelerate ran 1¼ miles in 2:01.38 and paid $5.80, $3 and $2.10 at 9-5 odds.
• Miami Hurricanes forward Dewan Huell has pulled out of the NBA draft and will return to school for his junior season. Huell said Saturday he made the decision after receiving feedback from NBA teams and discussing his options with his family and coaches. He declared for the draft in April but didn’t retain an agent, leaving him the option of continuing his college career.
• Daniel Ricciardo took a dominant pole position for the Monaco Grand Prix on Saturday, softening the blow for Red Bull after his teammate Max Verstappen failed to even start qualifying, having earlier crashed in final practice.
— ABJ/Ohio.com wires
Sports news roundup: Froome effectively seals Giro title in penultimate stage