Compiled from wire reports
Chargers to work on new stadium, stay in San Diego
•?In another twist to their long flirtation with Los Angeles, the San Diego Chargers announced Friday they will not move there for the 2016 season and will re-double their efforts to reach a deal to remain in their hometown.
Chargers chairman Dean Spanos, disclosing his decision in an open letter to Chargers fans, said the team still had an agreement with the Los Angeles Rams to share their stadium in Inglewood, “but my focus is on San Diego.”
“This has been our home for 55 years, and I want to keep the team here and provide the world-class stadium experience you deserve,” Spanos said.
The announcement means Los Angeles will have one NFL team when the season opens this fall. The Rams are expected to play the first three seasons in the Coliseum while a state-of-the-art stadium is being built in Inglewood.
The Chargers have until Jan. 15, 2017, to exercise a one-year option to move to L.A. The team can ask for the option to be extended one year if San Diego voters approve public financing for a stadium there.
•?The Detroit Lions hired Matt Harriss as vice president for football administration. Harriss joins the Lions after spending 10 seasons with the New York Giants’ football operations department. In his first year with the Giants, Harriss assisted Ernie Accorsi, who then was in his final season with the team. Accorsi, a former GM of the Giants, is now a special adviser to Lions team president Rod Wood.
Chelsea completes loan signing of striker Pato
•?Chelsea completed the loan signing of Brazilian striker Alexandre Pato until the end of the season. The 26-year-old Pato joins from Corinthians following previous spells with Internacional, Sao Paulo and AC Milan. Defending Premier League champion Chelsea has struggled for form this season and is currently 13th in the standings with Jose Mourinho having been sacked in December, seven months after he led them to the title. Chelsea manager Guus Hiddink says the club is also in the process of acquiring 20-year-old defender Matt Miazga from Major League Soccer’s New York Red Bulls. Miazga was a member of the U.S. team at last year’s Under-20 World Cup and made his national team debut in November.
•?The transfer bans imposed by FIFA on Real Madrid and Atletico Madrid have been temporarily suspended until the appeals process is finalized, the soccer’s world governing body said Friday. FIFA confirmed that its appeals committee granted the clubs relief from the sanctions. The decision comes two weeks after both clubs were banned from registering new players for two transfer windows for breaching rules involving underage players. The bans would only take effect at the start of the next summer window, so they could still be imposed pending the outcome of the appeals process.
— From wire reports