Nassar, ex-trainer charged with sex assault in Texas
• Disgraced ex-sports doctor Larry Nassar and a former trainer were charged with sexual assault on Friday following an investigation involving an elite gymnastics center in Texas. A grand jury indicted Nassar on six counts of second-degree sexual assault of a child, while a former trainer, Debra Van Horn, was indicted on one count, Walker County prosecutor Stephanie Stroud said. She said the charges involve six victims.
Capitals promote Reirden as coach to replace Trotz
• The Washington Capitals promoted Todd Reirden to head coach Friday, giving the Stanley Cup champions some continuity after the departure of Barry Trotz. Reirden had been on Trotz’s staff the past four years, the past two as associate coach.
• Defenseman Michal Kempny re-signed with the Capitals for $10 million over four years.
• Defenseman Drew Doughty agreed to an eight-year, $88 million contract extension through the 2026-27 season to stay with the Los Angeles Kings.
Serena Williams gets smooth draw at Wimbledon
• Serena Williams avoided any early matchups against opponents with success to speak of at Wimbledon in a draw on Friday that could put her against No. 5 seed Elina Svitolina in the third round.
• Top-seeded Caroline Wozniacki reached her third Eastbourne International final in England by beating fellow former No. 1 Angelique Kerber 2-6, 7-6 (4), 6-3. Wozniacki next faces the unseeded Aryna Sabalenka after the Belarusian knocked out 2008 champion Agnieszka Radwanska 6-3, 1-6, 6-3.
Utah State football player accused of rape at party
• A Utah State football player has been charged with sexually assaulting a woman at a party. Prosecutors who filed rape and forcible sodomy charges Thursday say 19-year-old Las Vegas native Jamaal A. Evans took an intoxicated woman into another room and assaulted her June 17.
• Prep forward Anthony Higgs from Baltimore has signed with Illinois and will join the program next season.
Minnesota midfielder announces he is gay
• Minnesota United midfielder Collin Martin announced he is gay, making him the only active male athlete in the major professional sports leagues to come out. Martin made the announcement on social media Friday before the Loons were to host a Pride Night at home against Dallas.
• Indianapolis Colts running back Robert Turbin was suspended without pay for the first four games of the season for violating the NFL policy on performance-enhancers.
— ABJ/Ohio.com wires
Sports news roundup, June 29: Nassar, ex-trainer charged in Texas