Nadal beats Shapovalov; Djokovic also advances
• Seven-time champion Rafael Nadal methodically wore down Denis Shapovalov 6-4, 6-1 Thursday to reach the Italian Open’s last eight and gain revenge over the Canadian teenager. Four-time Rome winner Novak Djokovic reached his first quarterfinal of the year with a 6-1, 7-5 victory over Alberto Ramos-Vinolas.
Djokovic next faces Kei Nishikori, who rolled past Philipp Kohlschreiber 6-1, 6-2.
Nadal, who hasn’t won the Italian Open since 2013, next faces Fabio Fognini, who beat Peter Gojowczyk 6-4, 6-4.
In the women’s tournament, Simona Halep’s hold on the No. 1 ranking received a boost when American Madison Keys withdrew from their last-16 match due to a rib injury.
• Tennis Australia said Friday that Alex de Minaur has been given Australia’s reciprocal wild card into the French Open starting on May 27.
Ex-girlfriend testifies she lied about 49ers linebacker
• The former girlfriend of Reuben Foster testified at a preliminary hearing in San Jose, Calif., that she lied to police when she said the San Francisco 49ers linebacker attacked her, allegations that led to a domestic violence case against him. Elissa Ennis testified she lied because she wanted retribution after Foster tried to end their relationship.
• John Elway has changed his mind about adding another quarterback to the Denver Broncos’ roster. The Broncos signed undrafted free agent Nick Stevens of Colorado State on Thursday, three weeks after Elway said he wouldn’t bring in a fourth passer for offseason workouts.
•The Tennessee Titans have added an offensive lineman, claiming John Theus off waivers from the New Orleans Saints. The Titans waived defensive lineman Antwaun Woods to clear a roster spot.
Captain Buffon leaving Juventus but not retiring
• Juventus captain Gianluigi Buffon will play his last match for the Italian champion on Saturday and has put off retirement to consider offers to play overseas. Buffon is widely regarded as one of the best goalkeepers of all time.
• Sam Bennett of Ireland pulled off a superb final attack to win the 12th stage of the Giro d’Italia while Simon Yates remained in the overall lead.
• Graham Rahal posted the fastest lap during practice for the Indianapolis 500 while JR Hildebrand hit the wall in the first crash of the week.
• Gary Russell Jr. will make just the third defense of his WBC featherweight title in 25 months against unbeaten challenger Joseph Diaz on Saturday night Oxon Hill, Md.
• Captain Patrick Kane scored two goals to lift the United States to a 3-2 win over the Czech Republic in the quarterfinals of the ice hockey world championship while Canada beat Russia 5-4 in overtime.
Sports news roundup: Nadal beats Shapovalov at Italian Open