Lights will twinkle and twirl to music in Dazzle, a computerized light show that’s a new part of Stan Hywet Hall & Gardens’ Deck the Hall holiday celebration.
The 10-minute show will light up the Great Garden three times each hour during the festivities. Visitors can also enjoy entertainment and a decorated manor house and grounds. Snacks will be for sale, and the gift shop will be open.
Deck the Hall is open from 5 to 8 nightly except Monday through Dec. 8, and again Dec. 10-15, 17-23 and 26-30.
Members are admitted for $13.50 ($5.50 for youth). Others pay $17 ($7 for youth). Children 5 and younger admitted free.
Tickets are available at the door or in advance at 330-315-3287 or www.stanhywet.org.
Stan Hywet is at 714 N. Portage Path, Akron.
Schools throughout Akron recycled 25.62 tons of paper during Keep Akron Beautiful’s mixed paper drive competition.
The winning schools, judged in pounds of paper collected per student, were St. Mary School with 21.1 pounds per student, Innes Community Learning Center with 4.26 pounds per student and Kenmore High School with 3.848 pounds per student.
North High School collected the most paper, 2.12 tons.
Events and programs
• Crafty Mart, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. today, Musica, 51 E. Market St., and We Gallery, 20 N. High St., Akron. Fifty vendors selling handmade goods. Free parking on the street and in the Main Library parking deck. www.craftymart.com.
• Knitting and Crocheting Circle meeting, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. today, Highland Library, 4160 Ridge Road, Granger Township, Medina County. Learn the basics. Call for supply list. 330-278-4271 or 330-239-2674.
• Christmas Around the World, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. today and 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Sunday, Medina County Community Center, Medina Fairgrounds, 735 Lafayette Road. Craft show with entertainment, food and children’s activities including an opportunity to visit Santa. Admission: ages 13-59, $5; 60 and older, $4; 6 -12, $2; 5 and younger, free. www.christmasinthecolonies.com/christmas.
• Graf Growers workshops, 1015 White Pond Drive, Copley Township. Holiday Fairy Garden Workshop, 5:30 p.m. Tuesday. Flowering Hellebores Porch Pot Workshop, 5:30 p.m. Thursday. Potting soil and instruction for both workshops are free, but plants and embellishments must be purchased at Graf. Buy a pot there or bring your own. Registration: 330-836-2727 or email@example.com.
• Overcoming Holiday “Overwhelm,” 6:30 p.m. Wednesday, Green Branch Library, 4046 Massillon Road. Presentation by professional organizer Natalie Gallagher. Registration: 330-896-9074.
• Needlework Circle meeting, 6 p.m. Thursdays, Seville Library, 45 N. Center St. 330-769-2852.
• Winter Barn Sale, Thursday through Saturday and Dec. 12-14, Portage Trail Barn, 151 Portage Trail Extension W, Cuyahoga Falls. Handmade and repurposed items for the home and family. Hours: 3-8 p.m. Thursdays, 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. Fridays and Saturdays. www.PortageTrailBarn.com.
• E.J. Thomas Christmas Arts & Crafts Show, Friday through Dec. 8, E.J. Thomas Hall, 198 Hill St., Akron. More than 100 artists and craftspeople. Hours: noon to 7 p.m. Friday, 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. next Saturday, 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Dec. 8. $4.50; seniors 62 and older, $4; children 12 and younger, free.
• Sugar Plum Tour, 2-5:30 p.m. Dec. 8, starting at Angel Falls Coffee Co., 792 W. Market St., Akron. Self-guided tour of five homes decorated for the holidays. $25. Tickets available at www.sugarplumtour.org or 330-376-8522, or for cash only at Angel Falls. Tour benefits the Akron Community Foundation’s Gay Community Endowment Fund.
• Holiday Home Tour, noon to 5 p.m. Dec. 8, Medina area. Tour of seven homes decorated for the holidays. Sponsored by the Medina Community Design Committee. $20. Tickets available at all Medina County Buehler’s stores, Miss Molly’s Tea Room, the Medina County Convention and Visitors Bureau and Boyert’s Greenhouse. They may also be ordered by mailing a check and a stamped, self-addressed envelope to CDC Holiday Home Tour, 4599 Hamilton Road, Medina, OH 44256. Information: 330-722-5020 or cdcHomeTour@gmail.com.
• Glow at the Garden, through Jan. 5, Cleveland Botanical Garden, 11030 East Blvd. Holiday celebration includes Garden Express train rides, musical performances, gingerbread house display, holiday plants and decorations. Hours: 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays; 10 a.m. to 9 p.m. Wednesdays and Fridays; noon to 5 p.m. Sundays. $12; ages 3-12, $8; members and younger children, free. 216-721-1600 or www.cbgarden.org.
Submit notices of classes, programs and events two weeks in advance to firstname.lastname@example.org or Home and Garden News, Features Department, Akron Beacon Journal, P.O. Box 640, Akron, OH 44309-0640. Please include name and phone number. All events must be open to the public.
Mary Beth Breckenridge can be reached at 330-996-3756 or email@example.com. You can also become a fan on Facebook at http://tinyurl.com/mbbreck, follow her on Twitter @MBBreckenridge and read her blog at www.ohio.com/blogs/mary-beth.