COLUMBUS: Authorities say a homeless person has burned to death after a small heater exploded inside a tent in Columbus.
The Columbus Dispatch reports that firefighters found the body around 9 p.m. Wednesday after responding to a report of an explosion not far from the Interstate 670 overpass in the city’s Italian Village neighborhood. Some homeless people camp in a wooded area there.
Columbus Fire Battalion Chief Rich Richardson says the victim was using a type of propane canister to keep warm in the 19-degree weather. He says it appears that a man was killed but the body was so badly burned authorities are unsure of the gender.
The coordinator of an outreach center is trying to help identify the victim.