A Cuyahoga County judge has ordered a medical evaluation of a man whose arrest at the hands of Akron police officers was captured on a video that went viral.

Patrick King was transferred from Summit County to Cuyahoga County last week because of a holder for a probation violation. King appeared before Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Judge Michael Jackson on Thursday where his attorneys raised concerns about whether King has received proper medical care since his Oct. 21 arrest in Akron.

Jackson ordered the medical evaluation before he considers King’s probation violation or his bond.

“His immediate concern was Patrick’s health,” said Eddie Sipplen, one of the attorneys representing King in the misdemeanor case against him stemming from his Akron arrest.

Jackson plans to hold a hearing after the evaluation is complete.

For now, King is being held at the Cuyahoga County Jail.

King, an Army veteran, was stopped by Akron police officers Oct. 21 after he left what police say was a suspected drug house on Sobul Avenue in Goodyear Heights. His altercation with police, which included him being shocked with a stun gun numerous times and punched more than 30 times, was captured by a neighbor and posted on Facebook. The video has been viewed more than 430,000 times.

King, 47, has pleaded not guilty to resisting arrest and misrepresenting his identity, both first-degree misdemeanors; possession of drug paraphernalia, a fourth-degree misdemeanor; and drug abuse of marijuana, a minor misdemeanor.

Prosecutors last Friday dismissed the only felony charge King was facing — tampering with evidence. Officers claimed King swallowed a pill or other item to conceal it.

A pretrial hearing will be held in King’s Akron case at 11:30 a.m. Friday in Judge Jerry Larson’s courtroom. Dates are expected to be set, but no other official action taken. King’s attorneys will be present, but King won’t be in court.

King was transferred to Cuyahoga County after appearing in Akron court last Friday where the felony charge against him was dismissed. An Akron magistrate gave King a $500 signature bond, but he wasn’t released because of the Cuyahoga County holder.

King was convicted of burglary and theft in Cuyahoga County Common Pleas Court in December 2014. He was sentenced to two years of probation, with an arrest warrant filed against him in October 2016 after he failed to show up for a probation violation hearing.

Kimberly Valenti, King’s other attorney in his Akron case, said in Cuyahoga court records that King relocated to Akron without the court’s permission.

“In order to effectively address his addiction and emotional issues, Mr. King felt that it was necessary to remove himself from around the people that were negatively impacting his life,” Valenti wrote in a motion requesting that King be granted bond.

Valenti said King was able to find a job and make friends and argued he doesn’t pose a flight risk.

Valenti and Sipplen told Jackson on Thursday that they are concerned about whether King received proper medical care at the Summit County Jail before his transfer.

Sipplen said he didn’t have the opportunity to raise the issue of King’s treatment at the Summit County Jail before King was transferred to Cuyahoga County. He declined to discuss what medical problems his client is having.

Summit County Sheriff Steve Barry and Inspector Bill Holland, a spokesman for the sheriff’s office, couldn’t be reached Thursday about the concerns the attorneys have raised about King’s medical care. The sheriff’s office runs the Summit County Jail.


Stephanie Warsmith can be reached at 330-996-3705, swarsmith@thebeaconjournal.com and on Twitter: @swarsmithabj.