Lock 3 will host two new events this summer — a Kids Fest and Pizza Fest.
Akron Mayor Dan Horrigan on Tuesday announced the summer concert and event schedule at the downtown park.
"This summer will be another fun and dynamic season of entertainment, family friendly programming, and festivals in downtown Akron,” Horrigan said in a prepared statement. “The 2019 summer schedule is packed with 27 Friday and Saturday night concerts, seven festivals, more than 40 community fundraising events, and blues and jazz in neighboring Lock 4. Don’t be discouraged by the ongoing construction — Lock 3 will be fully accessible for our favorite outdoor summer traditions, including food, concerts, fireworks, and cultural celebrations.”
The Lock 3 summer season kicks off May 24 with the first Rock the Lock concert featuring Crush, A Tribute to Bon Jovi with Victory Hwy.
Here's a look at the schedule:
• WONE (97.5-FM) Friday Night Rock the Lock Concerts will run from May 24 through Sept. 6. The concerts will feature national caliber rock 'n' roll tribute bands, the city said.
• Lock 3 Live! Summer Saturday Concerts: The highlights include national artist ConFunkShun on June 29. Admission is $10.
• Lock 3 Wellness Expo from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m. June 1. The new event will feature a free day of informational interactions and exercise experiences.
• Akron Kids Fest from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. June 15. The new event will feature a day of free kids activities.
• The Rib, White and Blue Festival runs July 3-6. Admission is free. The Fourth of July fireworks display will begin at 9:45 p.m. July 4 and there will be a bonus fireworks show at about 10:15 p.m. July 6.
• The 71st annual Italian-American Festival is July 11–13. The three-day festival opens for lunch on Thursday and Friday and continues through Saturday night. Dozens of vendors of Italian food will be on hand. Admission is free.
• The Akron African Cultural Association Festival runs July 20–21 with Lakeside performing July 21. The event includes the 38th annual African American Festival & Parade Exhibition. Admission is free July 20, $10 after 3 p.m. July 21.
• A Taste of Ireland is Aug. 16–17. Admission is free.
• Akron Pizza Fest runs Aug. 30–Sept. 1. The inaugural pizza and music festival will provide festival-goers a chance to buy sample-sized slices from eight Akron area pizzerias. Thirsty Dog Brewing Co. also will be serving beer. Tickets are $5.
• Lock 4 Blues & Jazz concerts will be held at Lock 4 on Wednesdays from July 17 through Aug. 28, while gospel concerts will be held on Sundays on July 28, Aug. 11 and Sept. 8.
The schedule also includes a showing of the "Rocky Horror Picture Show" in conjunction with the Akron Pride Festival's Drag Crawl Kings & Queens event on July 27 and a showing of the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" movie at 6 p.m. Aug. 15.
For more details, go to: www.Lock3Live.com.