CUYAHOGA FALLS — Students at Cuyahoga Falls High School were evacuated Monday morning as a precaution after a fire broke out in a nearby building housing a school wood shop.
The students were let back into the high school building after roughly 20 minutes, once the fire was under control in the brick, one-story wood shop, housed in the separate building. Firefighters continued to put out smoldering hot spots and assess damage at the wood shop.
Wood shop students were sent to the high school, at 2300 Fourth St., near the city's downtown.
No injuries were reported.
The fire department has determined the wood shop is safe to enter and wood shop students will be able to return to the area, according to an email sent to Falls school district officials from the district's business operations director, Joseph Bagatti.
The fire was reported at about 9:30 a.m., as flames broke out in the wood shop. The fire involved the wood shop's sawdust collection system, Falls Fire Capt. Travis Strausser said at the scene Monday.
An investigation continues.
The flames were extinguished within 20 minutes of response, with additional time spent dousing hot spots, Strausser said.
The network of vacuum hoses used to collect the sawdust in the 150-foot long building made it complicated to extinguish the fire, he said while standing outside.
"Through this entire building, there are multiple [sawdust] collection points," he said.
Officials said there didn't appear to be any structural damage to the building, but there is internal damage.
Two engines and a ladder truck responded to the scene. A total of 13 firefighters responded.