CANTON — Four students at Lehman Middle School fell ill Wednesday morning, apparently sickened by candy they had eaten.

City police said its school resource officer was alerted to the students’ illness around 9:40 a.m.

Four students were transported to area hospitals with unspecified symptoms, according to a news release from Canton police.

“Upon further investigation it is believed a student had chocolate containing an unknown substance that was ingested by the students who became ill.”

The Canton Police Department Vice Unit is investigating.

No additional details were provided by the school district or the police department.