Bath’s fourth Ohio Historical Marker, this one recognizing Bath’s Historic Town Hall and Bath Center Cemetery, was dedicated this week.
One side of the two-sided marker describes the 1817 purchase of the site by early settlers of Bath for both a burial ground and meeting house.
The other side provides the history of the township hall, from the initial log house constructed in 1818 and replaced in 1834 by a wooden-frame structure until the 1905 construction of the current building, an example of early 20th-century Georgian Revival architecture that was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1979.
The building was the seat of Bath Township government until 1980, when the current Bath administrative offices were built across the street. In 2005, the Bath Historical Society converted the Bath Township Hall into the home of the Bath Township Museum.
The dedication included four narrative historic presentations representing significant figures from Bath’s history.
A majority of the funding for the marker on North Cleveland-Massillon Road was through a $3,040 grant from the William G. Pomeroy Foundation; Bath’s portion of the cost was $310.
Among Bath’s other Historical Markers are ones at Moore’s Chapel and Ira Road cemeteries and the Ghent Woolen Mill.