Ohio breweries won a slew of medals at the 2019 U.S. Open Beer Championship.
The competition, held in Oxford, Ohio, announced the winners today. (July 9)
Sun King Brewing from Indianapolis, Indiana, was named "Grand National Champion" after winning three gold medals and three silver medals. Reuben's Brewing from Seattle, Washington, was second and Monday Night Garage Brewing from Atlanta was third.
This year's event featured more than 7,000 beers from professional breweries and homebrewers. Rhinegeist and Brink — both Cincinnati breweries — set the pace for Ohio, with each brewery taking home three medals.
Here's a rundown of the Ohio winners, in alphabetical order:
• 16 Lots (Mason): Bronze for Lulu Bean in the coffee flavored beer category.
• Brink (Cincinnati): Silver for Hold the Reins in the English mild category; silver for White Legs in the American amber lager category; and bronze for Kelly's Candy in the barrel-aged barley wine category.
• Dayton (Dayton): Bronze for Broken Empire in the barrel-aged strong stout/porter specialty category; and bronze for Beast of Tadmor in the barrel-aged German lager category.
• Eudora (Kettering): Silver for Mother Fuggle in the American brown ale category.
• Fat Head's (Middleburg Heights): Gold for Alpenglow in the German wheat ale category.
• Fifty West (Cincinnati): Bronze for Doom Petal in the Belgian witbier category.
• Fretboard (Blue Ash): Gold for Soundcheck in the Brut IPA category and gold for Crazy Train in the Belgian pale ale category.
• Hansa (Cleveland): Gold for Oktoberfest in the marzen/oktoberfest category; and silver for FemDom in the kellierbier or zwickelbier category.
• Heavier Than Air (Dayton): Gold for Balloon Factory ESB 1 in the extra special bitter category.
• Ignite (Barberton): Silver for 23 New Street in the English barley wine ale category.
• Listermann (Cincinnati): Gold for Peach Brandy BA Imperial Chickow! in the brandy barrel-aged beer category; and silver for Chickow! in the nut beer category.
• MadTree (Cincinnati): Silver for Chamomile Joon in the barrel-aged pale beer category; and bronze for Levanto Oscuro in the barrel-aged fruited sour beer category.
• Municipal (Hamilton): Silver for Anniversary DIPA in the honey beer category.
• Narrow Path (Loveland): Gold for Coconut Porter in the coconut beer category.
• Rhinegeist (Cincinnati): Gold for Uncle in the English mild category; silver for Guava Tangent and bronze for Perceptual Passion in the specialty beer/anything goes category.
• Sonder (Mason): Gold for Blanc in the Belgian witbier category.
• Streetside (Cincinnati): Gold for Sobbing Mathematically in the fruit gose category; and silver for Tequila Mockingbird in the tequila barrel-aged beer category.
• Swine City (Fairfield): Bronze for We Been Dancin' in the English brown ale category.
• Taft's (Cincinnati): Bronze for Tangerine Vibes in the American-style fruit beer category.
• Zaftig (Columbus): Bronze for Big Barleywine in the English barley wine ale category.
To see the full list of winners, click here.