Gov. Mike DeWine announced the creation of the Ohio School Safety Center on Wednesday in hopes of providing a centralized resource to help detect threats and prevent school shootings.

The governor signed an executive order establishing the seven-person office within the Homeland Security section of the Department of Public Safety as schools open for the year around Ohio.

DeWine said the action is part of what he now calls “STRONG Ohio,” his multi-point proposal designed to help reduce gun violence following the mass shooting that left nine people dead in Dayton earlier this month.

The center will assist schools, local police, parents and others in “preventing, preparing for and reacting to violence,” including student suicide threats, DeWine said.

In Ohio’s worst school shooting, three students died and three others were injured when a student opened fire at Chardon High School in 2012.

DeWine said the center, consisting of some Homeland Security employees with expertise in school safety, will:

• Scan social media and websites with specialized software to hunt down impending threats to school safety by people suggesting acts of school violence.

•  Offer threat assessments to schools and train staff on how to detect and prevent potential violence.

•  Review emergency management plans submitted by Ohio’s 5,500 schools and offer risk threat and safety assessments to school to improve security.

• Consolidate now-scattered safety school resources on various websites into one site — saferschools.ohio.gov — to allow easier access to state help and training opportunities.

•  Promote use of the tip line — 844-SAFEROH — to encourage people to anonymously and confidentially report suspected threats to school safety.

• Host an annual school safety summit featuring school safety, public safety and mental health professionals to share best practices.

• Create a working group of educators, police, mental health experts and others to review school safety efforts and issue an annual report.

In the wake of the mass shooting outside a Dayton nightclub that killed nine people on Aug. 4 — and a crowd’s chant of “do something!” — DeWine, a first-year Republican, introduced a package of proposals two days later to address gun violence.

DeWine’s initiative is headlined by a so-called “red-flag” law allowing guns to be seized, following a court hearing, from a person found to be a danger to himself or others, as well expanded background checks on gun sales to include gun shows and individual-to-individual transactions.

Senate President Larry Obhof, R-Medina, said the governor’s “red flag” proposal satisfied his chamber’s concerns over due process while House Speaker Larry Householder, R-Glenford, says gun seizures and background checks would be a difficult to sell to his majority Republicans.

“It’s a work in progress,” said DeWine, whose proposals now are being drafted into legislation, when asked about Householder’s assessment. The governor remains confident they can win legislative approval.

“My job, in the weeks ahead, this administration’s job, is to make that case to the people of Ohio and make that case to the people who are concerned about the Second Amendment, make that case to the state legislature.

“I understand the natural skepticism, but I think when people see the facts, they are going to look up and say, ‘It works. We can do it.’ ”